And God made the two great light-bearers, …the lesser light-bearer (the moon) to rule the night,….
14 And God said, Let there be light-bearers in the expanse of heaven to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years.
15 And let them be light-bearers in the expanse of heaven to give light on the earth; and it was so.
16 And God made the two great light-bearers, the greater light-bearer to rule the day, and the lesser light-bearer to rule the night, and the stars.
17 And God set them in the expanse of heaven to give light on the earth.
18 And to rule over the day and over the night and to separate the light form the darkness, and God saw that it was good.
19 And there was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.
God made the moon to rule the night. There is no life on the moon—no air, no water. The moon is not the proper place for man to live. God made the moon to shine on the earth to give us pleasant light at night.
- Remember that last week we talked about the sun. God made the grater light-bearer, the sun, on the fourth day. The sun shines during the day to give us light.
- On the fourth day, God also made light to shine at night. What light do you see in the sky at night? The moon and the stars.
- God made the moon (refer to child’s verse). The moon is the brightest light in the night sky. The moon looks like a flat circle to us, but it is round like a ball. Does the moon always look the same at night? No, sometimes we see just part of the moon. The moon is always round like a ball, but sometimes only part of it is lit, and we cannot see the dark part.
- God formed the moon of rocks. On the moon there are many mountains, holes, and flat rocks. There is no life on the moon, no air to breathe, no water to drink, and no food that grows. We can see that the moon isn’t the right place for man to live.
- God made the moon to shine on the earth to give us pleasant light at night.
Craft—Phases of the moon:
- Supplies: White cardstock or construction paper, black construction paper, yellow construction paper, another color of construction paper for verse, glitter, glue
- Preparation: Cut black construction paper in half. Cut or punch circles for sun with yellow paper. Cut out moon shapes out of white paper. Print verse on colored paper and cut into strips.
- For kids: Glue black paper on the right side of the white paper. On the left side, glue the sun. Make rays with glue and glitter. On the right side, glue the moon shape. Glue the verse to the bottom of the page.